Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lenten thoughts



Our church is holding a prayer and fasting week this week, and of course it coincides with Lent. I planned to participate, but after I went home sick on Friday from subbing, realized, "Hey, I can do this, I am already halfway there." Because throwing up for 4 hours straight, and running to the toilet for 48 hours sure purges anybody's system to prepare for fasting. So I am really trying. Of course, hubby attended our Elderberry luncheon on Monday, and had his chance to sacrifice. Right. I stayed away because even the look of food made me nauseous. I am better. Even got a bowl of Costco's organice tomato/sweet red pepper soup with a tuna melt down me tonight.

This afternoon, to keep my mind off food, because I was suddenly bitten by the "hungry bug", I started sewing. Got this really neat book on serger projects from Sewing with Nancy, and threw together something called a neck purse. My friend is flying overseas next week, so thought she might find it handy. Looks like it could contain a passport, credit cards, room key, even a cellphone. The only problem I had was that my serger got crabby over the thickness of the layers. So finally went back to my sewing/embroidery machine and double stitched over the serger threads so none would accidentally break, and lose her stuff. I used some microsuede as the base, which I think was the main problem. If I just keep it simple and stay with lighter cotton fabrics, I don't think Ms. Serger will stay crabby long. I think it was an afternoon spent doing worthwhile things, because I threw laundry into the mix, washing bed linens, pillows, blankets etc. Things you should wash after you are sick, so you don't keep all the germs around.

Spring is coming tomorrow--our weatherman promised us! And through the five inches of snow, which for some reason didn't do much melting today, you can see the tulip and daffodil leaves poking up. Maybe I might even feel like getting out and about tomorrow.

1 comment:

holly said...

That's really pretty fabric, Mom. It turned out very well - I'm sure your friend will love it!