Friday, June 6, 2008

My Woodland Garden




I have been working on a woodland garden for the past 5 years. It actually began about 10 years ago, when my mom gave me a start of an heirloom mock orange bush, and said, here, it doesn't like these Ozark rocks. Why don't you try it up north? So I plunked it in the ground, on the south side of the house, but in dappled shade and sun kind of elements. It started growing, and then it started blooming in the late spring/early summer. So I guess I had to put some other stuff around it.

What began as a dog run for our chocolate labrador years ago, transformed into a jungle gym site and picnic table for the pool breaks, has now become a quiet spot to just set and relax on a bench (recycled from our front door patio), listen to the birds, and look at the flowers. I have lots of gifts from friends and family, to spice up the garden, along with purchased plants, like a butterfly bush. Periodically the black snake slithers through the garden, leaving his coat/skin on the wrought iron clematis trellis. He must like his back scratched with it. The garden gnome guards his domain and watches over it with his shovel in hand. I wonder what he thinks of Mr. Blacksnake?

No comments: