Friday, October 23, 2009

Amazing Cake


Stumbled on a recipe in one of the magazines I checked out from the public library, and decided to fix it one day last week (luckily this was before my flu bout) and it was a huge success in our house. In fact, hubby renamed this "The REEEEALLY GOOD CHOCOLATE CAKE", so here it is for everyone to try, and yes, it has a few strange twists.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get out an 8 inch square baking pan, and in the middle of the pan, use a wire whisk to blend together:
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Scharffenberger's)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher was my choice here)

Then make a well in the center of your ingredients, and add:
6 tablespoons vegetable oil (you can use canola, I did)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (got some Mexican vanilla?--use it here!)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup cold water

Whisk carefully until well combined, trying not to knock any of that good stuff outside your pan. Bake until a toothpick tests it done in the middle, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let it cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, and IF you want, at this point, you can ice it. I had about a cup of chocolate ganache in the fridge, so took it out to let it come to room temp, and threw it on top. Ohmygoodness! This cake was so yummy and different too. As I said, the ingredients had me wondering, as in NO eggs, and vinegar and cold water???

But worth every good bite!

No comments: