Saturday, April 4, 2009

Book pages

For those of you who know me, you know I am a BIG Paula Deen fan. It was almost a pilgrimage to eat at her restaurant in Savannah last year, "Lady and Sons" and if you skip WAY down my blog to the Savannah trip you can see that I was able to meet her ( well, not really, but it was a great replica cardboard cutout). So when I started reading a book by Kate Jacobs, the author of "The Friday Night Knitting Club", I was hooked. "Comfort Food" lives up to its name. It reads like a fictionalized account of another Paula Deen out there, Augusta Simpson. She used to run a luncheonette, was widowed, and had to raise her two girls by herself, and has two cats, Salt and Pepper. And she is a hostess of a cooking show on Foodtv. Well, as you can see some of the similarities, you can detect far more in the character study of Gus. I could visualize a Paula as she talked and interacted, through that entire book. It was awesome! It told a great family and relationship story, had great food, suspense (because maybe her show was on the rocks and getting canceled if she and it didn't change), a villain or two (her producer, and Miss Spain--I won't tell you how That one turns out), and funny dialogue. Kept me comforted indeed!

No comments: