Saturday, June 30, 2007

We are having a great garden summer, so of course that means lots of zucchini. I have decided to share one of my favorite recipes, from my mom, to use up all that zucchini we pick. As Marie Antoinette said, "Let them eat cake".

Zucchini Chocolate cake

Blend together 1/2 cup soft margarine (and yes you can substitute butter, I do),
1/2 vegetable or canola oil, and 1 and 3/4 cup white sugar.
Add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup sour cream (I use the low fat), and 2 cups grated or chopped zucchini (Food processors come in handy here!).
Mix well.
Combine and mix together 2 and 1/2 cups flour, 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Blend this into the zucchini mixture.

Turn batter into a PAM sprayed 8 X 11 inch baking pan, OR 2 8X8 aluminum pans, and sprinkle the top of the batter liberally with good semisweet chocolate chips. (This time I also tried Heath chocolate/toffee crunch)
Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until center tests done.

If you use the aluminum pans, after they cool, you can then pop them into gallon ziploc bags for sharing the cakes, or freezing.

I just baked two batches today, and already have committments for 3 cakes! Hope you enjoy them as we do.

No comments: