Friday, December 19, 2008

Book Pages

Well, what can I say, except that it has been a busy Fall, and now a busy Winter. But reading keeps me sane. So here is one special book I recommend...
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I discovered this purely by accident on the Costco book table, and snatched it up, because I love historical fiction, particularly on the War years. This story is told by letters, an interesting approach. I first thought, oh, this is annoying, but after the first letter, I was grabbed and couldn't let go. I had no idea how badly the Channel Islands suffered during WWII. I thought, ok, so they are British, but they were occupied by the Germans, and had to suffer extreme privation and death at the hands of their occupiers. Even though they suffer greatly, they deal with it with their heads held high, and figure out amusing and clever ways to outwit the Nazis. There are tragedies in this tale, but the human spirit wins out. If you want a heart-warming story that stays with you past the end, this is the book for you!

No comments: